Everything You Need to Know About Waterproofing for Showers
This article will focus on the waterproofing of the floor and walls at the installation site of the glass shower. In the shower area, walls and floors are constantly exposed to water, and therefore the topic of waterproofing is critical.
Waterproofing is needed to prevent moisture from entering and wetting the structure under the tile. That is why waterproofing for showers is done after pouring the screed, plastering the walls, and laying the tiles. In this case, both the screed and the plaster will be dry, and you will gain confidence that there will be no leaks and fungi under the tile for many years. We strongly recommend that you pay attention to this process. Waterproofing must be carried out in the “wet” zone, regardless of the materials of manufacture of both walls and pallets. And only quality materials.
If you do not apply a waterproofing layer to the floor and walls, moisture may accumulate under the tiles; a consequence of this:
- wall fungus,
- constant humidity,
- bad smell,
- in some cases, water may flow to the floor below.
To eliminate this, you will need to dismantle the shower room, dismantle the tiles, and etch the fungus – that is, the global repair of the bathroom. And with all this – the floor outside and inside the shower cabin will be dry; such leaks are not immediately visible. Wet spots on the ceiling of neighbors may appear in a few years.
There are a lot of professional waterproofing mixtures. Mixtures differ in composition and application technology, but the general rules for the manufacture of waterproofing are the same. For waterproofing the shower area, it is optimal to use elastic coating waterproofing mixtures.
Waterproofing is applied in several steps. Sealant layers should be applied to the floor and always to the walls of the “wet” area. The height of the waterproofing layer on the wall is arbitrary. On the walls, as a rule, two layers of paste are applied on the floor – 3 layers. On the floor, the mixture is used first in one direction, the next layer – in a perpendicular direction. After the complete polymerization of all coatings of the waterproofing mass, a completely waterproof layer is formed, protecting against water penetration and ensuring the shower area’s safety and durability.
Tips for Proper Shower Wall Waterproofing
Here are the main tips from professional installer:
- you should know that in a shower room without a pallet, the floor level must be at least 10 cm lower than the floors throughout the apartment;
- to isolate the seams at the corners and the joints, it is necessary to use a sealant that has moisture-resistant properties or an elastic tape with the same properties;
- it is essential to take care of good ventilation in the room, which can make the humidity minimal;
- shower wall waterproofing materials must be applied not with chaotic movements, but even and parallel to one of the walls;
- if the shower tray is factory-made, it must be put in place and, at the junction with the wall, smeared with a moisture-resistant sealant; the remaining joints are sealed with rubber gaskets.
The windows of the shower cabin are spotless, after which a particular agent is applied to it. Thanks to nanoparticles, this composition fills all the scratches and perfectly levels the glass surface, after which the drops roll down without lingering. In addition, all glass joints are treated with waterproofing based on silicone or polymers.
Turning to us, you will receive high-quality plumbing services. Our company is a local service, so the maintenance cost will be lowered. In addition, some services are guaranteed.